Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Where do people go?

I've just been pondering this existential question. When Brita isn't here... where is she? When Mom isn't here, she's down at her barn. I can see it from here. If she isn't waiting on me hand and hoof, she's down there. If I bang on the walls and yell, she comes popping out the door to see what I want.


But Brita puzzles me a bit more. She is only here for a few hours at a time, and there can be disturbingly long gaps between appearances. And when she comes she brings a lot of food and equipment. Where does that come from? Does she make it? And if she does make it, why is there sometimes a celery shortage? How does she get my jammies to smell like flowers?


And where do the other horses go? I haven't seen Ace in weeks. He got in the scary horse transporter device, and he hasn't been heard from since. Copy get's in the transporter quite often. She goes and she comes back. Then she goes again. And comes back. Every time someone gets in one of those things it really worries me. I bang on the walls and holler and run around. Sometimes Mom puts me in my room and closes all the doors, but I can still see out my window.


Maybe Copy knows how to operate the device. Maybe she's going somewhere with unlimited clover and shady trees and carrots. Maybe the reason Ace has been gone so long is because something went wrong and he's caught in a parallel universe and can't get back. Youngsters shouldn't try stuff like that until they're older and wiser. These are the things that worry me. Maybe he's been eaten by a space monster. Every time I've gotten in that thing, I've always ended up somewhere new and strange and never made it back to the starting point. Well the last few times we've made it back, but I'm not sure how it happens so it makes me uneasy.

5 comments:

paint_horse_milo said...

What a cute post!

You know, Ive often thought about if horses wonder where we go. WP sure seems to!

Bif said...

Mother zips around a lot in her car. I like the car, because sometimes it brought hay, like when I lived in the field.

I think I've figured out that Mother goes somewhere in an odd, 5 day 2 day configuration, because she is around more on the 2 day part, and she smells funny on the 5 day part. Kind of like a vet, but not.

One time she was gone for almost a whole moon! That was super creepy. I am not entirely sure where she went.

I have, however, watched her operate the vehicle many times (she often follows me when I ride in the trailer, and often I am loose and ride backward) and think I can figure out how to drive it, if only I would fit in it. THEN I could head off to get whatever I wanted to eat ANYTIME!!

Jason said...

Hahaha !! Excellent post. I am a hundred percent sure that our retirees never give us a moment's thought except when we're late with food, either am or pm. :)

I'm a third of the way through Love, Sex and Tractors. Given that it didn't show up till yesterday and given that we didn't quit until nearly 8 pm, I'd say I'm hooked ! :)

SmartAlex said...

I finished LS&T last night, and I'm on to Busted Tractors and Rusty Knuckles. Tim wants to know why I'm reading the Roger books again and I told him it was a Woman School Refresher Course.

He also wrote "Mister You Got Yourself a Horse" which was a compilation of old time horse trader stories collected in the Federal Writers' Project of the 1930's. Not as entertaining as Ben Green's Horse Tradin' books but pretty good.

Back to how horses understand our world. I used to wonder what horses thought about being hauled. I mean there's no way they can understand that we're driving, or even know that we're in the truck. All they know is everytime the trailer stops for any length of time, their human pops in the door to say hello. Where have we been? And then where do we go?

Bif said...

Oh, no, I know Mother is in the truck (or, often, Aunt Nancy, and Mother is in the car behind me). I see them drive up in the truck, so they are obviously operating it.

Oh, and sometimes when we are starting out, one will call out to the other, so I know who is where.

I stare at Mother much off the time if she is in the car behind me, and I am riding in a stock. I like to ride backwards best.

I understand that people make cars move because at the one barn especially Mother and I stopped to talk to people coming up the driveway all the time. Like I said, I could probably figure it out if I could just get one with a bigger seat.