Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A difference in opinion... standards of grooming

My rider thinks she is quite the natty dresser. She says she wants to look nice in her barn clothes since she always ends up wearing them on her errands around town, and if she is going to have to stand in line at the Post Office or the Bank wearing barn clothes, she wants them to at least look fashionable. So, she always comes to the barn in half chaps, and clean breeches with a nicely fitted polo or turtleneck. But this is how things seem to play out around here in the springtime when I am still shedding, itchy and devoting several hours a day to rolling in the sand....






And that is what her nice breeches and polos usually look like when we are done. So, she bought some of these...

...in an attempt to make even her dirtwear look fashionable. Which is fine with me, because one year she made me wear coveralls all the time, and they were quite uncomfortable. Plus, my laundry is much more bulky than hers. So, our arrangement of me being naked and dirty, and her taking most of that dirt home with her each day to the laundry, works out just fine.



I put quite a lot of time and effort into my personal grooming. I've elevated it to an art form. A white horse is like a blank canvas. The artist in me just can't wait to fancy it up. As you can see, stains are important as a base. Then, I like to add a little texture of sand. Never overlook the effect of solids on your canvas. I call this one "Poopaloosa Beach"...







It's the first in a series. This one is "Shady Shoulders". Brita suggested another name for it but I thought we'd keep it clean. So to speak.



Don't worry, I'll come up with more artwork for you later.

illustrations from Thelwells Horse Box: Norman Thelwell

1 comment:

Ash said...

Duke has some beaut's on his belly that I get to argue with tomorrow!